Help on porting lwIP to Beaglebone Black (AM335X) with Xenomai

Help on porting lwIP to Beaglebone Black (AM335X) with Xenomai

Baur, Elias

Hello everyone,

I am new to lwIP and did a lot of research the last couple of days. My goal ist to do real time networking between wire-connected Beagleboards. Therefore, we have been setting up a Xenomai Co-Kernel on the boards. To actually send and receive UDP-packets, we want to use lwIP.

I have found out that TI has already ported lwIP on its CPU in its Starterware: http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/StarterWare_CPSW_Port_lwIP Now I am wondering whether it is possible to adapt this for my use case? Or what do you recommend to do to get lwIP running?

Thank you very much!

Best, Eloa

Re: Help on porting lwIP to Beaglebone Black (AM335X) with Xenomai

Am 28. Januar 2019 17:42:39 MEZ schrieb "Baur, Elias" <[hidden email]>:
>Hello everyone,
>

>I am new to lwIP and did a lot of research the last couple of days. My
>goal ist to do real time networking between wire-connected
>Beagleboards. Therefore, we have been setting up a Xenomai Co-Kernel on
>the boards. To actually send and receive UDP-packets, we want to use
>lwIP.

Why do you want to use lwIP. Of course it's possible to do that, but have you thought about using Linux with RT patch? Would that not be enough to reach your requited realtime timing?

With your approach, I guess you will need to give lwIP exclusive access to the petrol interface.

>I have found out that TI has already ported lwIP on its CPU in its
>Starterware:
>http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/StarterWare_CPSW_Port_lwIP Now
>I am wondering whether it is possible to adapt this for my use case? Or
>what do you recommend to do to get lwIP running?

I really can't help you much there. If the network interface is for use exclusively to lwIP, I guess the netif driver can be reused. But you'll need to port lwIP to Xenomai (if that hasn't been done yet).

Re: Help on porting lwIP to Beaglebone Black (AM335X) with Xenomai

Baur, Elias
Hello Simon,
thank you for your answer!
Hi,

Am 28. Januar 2019 17:42:39 MEZ schrieb "Baur, Elias" <[hidden email]>:
>Hello everyone,
>

>I am new to lwIP and did a lot of research the last couple of days. My
>goal ist to do real time networking between wire-connected
>Beagleboards. Therefore, we have been setting up a Xenomai Co-Kernel on
>the boards. To actually send and receive UDP-packets, we want to use
>lwIP.

Why do you want to use lwIP. Of course it's possible to do that, but have you thought about using Linux with RT patch? Would that not be enough to reach your requited realtime timing?

With your approach, I guess you will need to give lwIP exclusive access to the petrol interface.

We do want to use lwIP, because we already use it for other boards within the same project. The "official way" on Xenomai would be to use RTnet. However, we actually do want to try lwIP and that is why I am looking for ideas on how to get it done.

>I have found out that TI has already ported lwIP on its CPU in its
>Starterware:
>http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/StarterWare_CPSW_Port_lwIP Now
>I am wondering whether it is possible to adapt this for my use case? Or
>what do you recommend to do to get lwIP running?

I really can't help you much there. If the network interface is for use exclusively to lwIP, I guess the netif driver can be reused. But you'll need to port lwIP to Xenomai (if that hasn't been done yet).

Unfortunately, I haven't found anything on porting lwIP to Xenomai. Does anyone have any experience? I would try to reuse the TI driver, but what has to be done additionally to port it on Xenomai?

Big thanks in advance,
Eloa

Re: Help on porting lwIP to Beaglebone Black (AM335X) with Xenomai

hi elias  i ported lwip and a bunch of other drivers low & middle
to the BBB with gcc.   grab it at www.baremetal.tech
i am willing to collaborrate, i really need help
later.............dd