Newbie trying to use lwip on Fedora

David Vos
I am new to lwip.  I really like the concept and it looks interesting.

I am trying to write a pure userland TCP transparent proxy.  In fact,
the packets won't even be arriving off the wire, and I cannot use the
host OS's stack.  I will have a program feeding the packets in and out
of lwip.

I am running in userland on a Fedora Core 5 2.6.18-1.2257.fc5smp system.

I downloaded lwip-1.2, and I was a little surprised that there is no
Makefile or anything.  I wrote a small C program that includes the
"lwip/tcp.h" file.  I get errors about being unable to find
"arch/cc.h" or "lwipopts.h".

How should I approach getting lwip to run in userland fedora?  How
much time would you guess it will take?

Thanks,
-David Vos

Re: Newbie trying to use lwip on Fedora

Kieran Mansley
On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 18:37 -0600, David Vos wrote:

> I am new to lwip.  I really like the concept and it looks interesting.
>
> I am trying to write a pure userland TCP transparent proxy.  In fact,
> the packets won't even be arriving off the wire, and I cannot use the
> host OS's stack.  I will have a program feeding the packets in and out
> of lwip.
>
> I am running in userland on a Fedora Core 5 2.6.18-1.2257.fc5smp system.
>
> I downloaded lwip-1.2, and I was a little surprised that there is no
> Makefile or anything.  I wrote a small C program that includes the
> "lwip/tcp.h" file.  I get errors about being unable to find
> "arch/cc.h" or "lwipopts.h".
>
> How should I approach getting lwip to run in userland fedora?  How
> much time would you guess it will take?

You will also need the contrib module that contains a number of ports
(including things like Makefiles) for different operating systems.  One
of the examples there is a unix library target that should be directly
linkable against your application, and allow you to access the lwIP
APIs.

Re: Newbie trying to use lwip on Fedora

David Vos
Thanks,

It appears that the http://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/lwip/
page only contains the version contrib-0.7.1-20040319.tar.gz  It
appears that this version is not compatible with lwip-1.2.0.  Due to
the network I am currently on, cvs access is not currently possible.
Is there a tarball that contains a lwip-1.2.0 compatible version of
contrib?

Thanks,
-David Vos

On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 10:10 -0600, David Vos wrote:
> Thanks,
>
> It appears that the http://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/lwip/
> page only contains the version contrib-0.7.1-20040319.tar.gz  It
> appears that this version is not compatible with lwip-1.2.0.  Due to
> the network I am currently on, cvs access is not currently possible.
> Is there a tarball that contains a lwip-1.2.0 compatible version of
> contrib?

Sadly there is no such thing - the contrib module contains code
contributed by others (hence the name) and getting this maintained when
new releases of lwIP are made hasn't been easy.  In the past this has
meant the whole contrib tarball has just sat at the last release where
everything was last known to be compatible.  In the future I plan to
just archive any ports that aren't being maintained so we can continue
to make contrib module releases in parallel with the lwIP releases.

However, as you just need the unix port bit (which has been kept
reasonably up to date) things are more hopeful.  It should be possible
to persuade CVS to give a copy of that at the time that 1.2.0 was
released (things have moved on since).  If you really can't access CVS
yourself to do this, I might be able to find a few spare minutes and tar
it up for you.

Re: Newbie trying to use lwip on Fedora

David Vos
Kieran,

Thanks for the offer, but I was able to download it on a different
network and transfer it.

Thanks,
-David