No case for IPv6 in ethernet_input()

Mohsin
Hi,

I think there is a bug in ethernet_input(). Because if there is etherent IP6 packet, then it should first go to ethernet_input() through tcpip_thread() and than after ip6_input() mshould be called.

But there is no provision for ip6 packet. Only ip_input() is there. I implemented something as follows in ethernet_input() function in my project:

           #if LWIP_IPV6
           case PP_HTONS(ETHTYPE_IPV6):
        /* skip Ethernet header */
             if(pbuf_header(p, -ip_hdr_offset)) {
                LWIP_ASSERT("Can't move over header in packet", 0);
                goto free_and_return;
            }
            else {
            /* pass to IP6 layer */
            ip6_input(p, netif);
            }
            break;
           #endif /* LWIP_IPV6 */

Before adding this, my ip6 packets were not processed.

Thanks & Regards,
Mohsin

Re: No case for IPv6 in ethernet_input()

goldsimon@gmx.de
mfkexpress wrote:
> I think there is a bug in ethernet_input(). Because if there is etherent IP6
> packet, then it should first go to ethernet_input() through tcpip_thread()
> and than after ip6_input() mshould be called.
>
> But there is no provision for ip6 packet. Only ip_input() is there.

Ok, now I'm confused. My ethernet_input function in etharp.c has a case for IPv6. Which version of the lwIP sources are you using???

Re: No case for IPv6 in ethernet_input()

Mohsin
Is there any updated version?? If yes than please please let me know.

Currently I'm using lwip 1.4.1.

I think in this version, no IPv6 case in ethernet_input() and that typecasting for IP6H_VTCFL_SET() was the two main bugs totally responsible for non-functionality of input packets processing and Tx part.

Regards,
Mohsin
Simon Goldschmidt wrote

mfkexpress wrote:
> Is there any updated version?? If yes than please please let me know.

There's no released version. You'll have to download the git head for IPv6 support.

> Currently I'm using *lwip 1.4.1*.
>
> I think in this version, no IPv6 case in ethernet_input()

That explains a lot. 1.4.1 does *not* really support IPv6. It has some *experimental* really outdated IPv6 implemented but even that cannot be used with IPv4 at the same time. Please update to git head to use IPv6.

mfkexpress wrote:
> Is there any updated version?? If yes than please please let me know.

There's no released version. You'll have to download the git head for IPv6 support.

> Currently I'm using *lwip 1.4.1*.
>
> I think in this version, no IPv6 case in ethernet_input()

That explains a lot. 1.4.1 does *not* really support IPv6. It has some *experimental* really outdated IPv6 implemented but even that cannot be used with IPv4 at the same time. Please update to git head to use IPv6.

Now that you have improvised me about git head for IPv6 , please do one favour. I tried but really unable to find git head for IPv6.

So, can you please give me some link for downloading git head.
Otherwise I was sticked to this 1.4.1 version only and was trying days & nights to make it work for my project.

Thanks & Regards,
Mohsin

Re: No case for IPv6 in ethernet_input()

Gene Cumm

On Dec 9, 2014 5:36 AM, "mfkexpress" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So, can you please give me some link for downloading git head.

http://savannah.nongnu.org/git/?group=lwip

--Gene

Re: No case for IPv6 in ethernet_input()

vincent cui
Hi simon:

I am using LWIP 1.4.3 which includes more C file about IPv6 than 1.4.1 and 1.4.0, Does it mean LWIP 1.4.3 support IPv6 ?
It is confusing to me that I can't find 1..4.3 in lwip website now ..

Could you help explain this ?

BTW, I need develop SOCKET application base on IPv6.

vincent

Vincent Cui
Firmware Engineer Leader
Shanghai Enlogic Electric Technology Co., Ltd.
Room1106, Building A, New Caohejing Business Centre, No.391, Guiping Road, Xuhui District, Shanghai, P.R.China
T: +86 21 34612525, M: +86 13482482211
www.enlogic.com

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete it.  If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose or distribute this e-mail without the author's prior permission. We have taken precautions to minimize the risk of transmitting software viruses, but we advise you to carry out your own virus checks on any attachment to this message.  We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses.  Any views and/or opinions expressed in this e-mail are of the author only and do not necessarily represent the views of Enlogic.
> Is there any updated version?? If yes than please please let me know.

There's no released version. You'll have to download the git head for IPv6 support.

> Currently I'm using *lwip 1.4.1*.
>
> I think in this version, no IPv6 case in ethernet_input()

That explains a lot. 1.4.1 does *not* really support IPv6. It has some *experimental* really outdated IPv6 implemented but even that cannot be used with IPv4 at the same time. Please update to git head to use IPv6.

Re: No case for IPv6 in ethernet_input()

vincent cui

Hi simon:

My LWIP includes following file in IPV6 folder.

But I don’t find lwip1.4.1 and lwip1.4.0 doesn’t include them . so , I really don’t know what version it is ..

Vincent

Vincent Cui
Firmware Engineer Leader

Room1106, Building A, New Caohejing Business Centre, No.391, Guiping Road, Xuhui District, Shanghai, P.R.China
T: +86 21 34612525, M: +86 13482482211
www.enlogic.com

P please consider the environment before printing this email

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete it.  If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose or distribute this e-mail without the author's prior permission. We have taken precautions to minimize the risk of transmitting software viruses, but we advise you to carry out your own virus checks on any attachment to this message.  We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses.  Any views and/or opinions expressed in this e-mail are of the author only and do not necessarily represent the views of Enlogic.

> Is there any updated version?? If yes than please please let me know.

There's no released version. You'll have to download the git head for IPv6 support.

> Currently I'm using *lwip 1.4.1*.

> I think in this version, no IPv6 case in ethernet_input()

That explains a lot. 1.4.1 does *not* really support IPv6. It has some *experimental* really outdated IPv6 implemented but even that cannot be used with IPv4 at the same time. Please update to git head to use IPv6.

Re: No case for IPv6 in ethernet_input()

Claudius Zingerli
On 2014-12-16 4:22, Vincent Cui wrote:
> Hi simon:
>
> I am using LWIP 1.4.3 which includes more C file about IPv6 than 1.4.1 and 1.4.0, Does it mean LWIP 1.4.3 support IPv6 ?
> It is confusing to me that I can't find 1..4.3 in lwip website now ..
>
> Could you help explain this ?

I didn't know there is a version 1.4.3...
Use 1.5 from git (google it). It has IPv6 support, but is still in a
devel state; In my application, it's stable, so.

Claudius

Re: No case for IPv6 in ethernet_input()

vincent cui
Hi

thank you.

Send from my BlackBerry10 phone.

Claudius Zingerli wrote:
>> I am using LWIP 1.4.3 which includes more C file about IPv6 than 1.4.1 and 1.4.0, Does it mean LWIP 1.4.3 support IPv6 ?
>> It is confusing to me that I can't find 1..4.3 in lwip website now ..
>>
>> Could you help explain this ?
>
> I didn't know there is a version 1.4.3...

That's because there's no such thing. Vincent, you might want to check what your sources are or who told you it's 1.4.3?

Re: No case for IPv6 in ethernet_input()

vincent cui
Hi simon

what I know by compare with 1.4.0/1.4.1 is the version shall be after 1.4.1 as there are more files about IPv6
and I wonder to know if thr update files can support IPv6 totaly or at least can make my socket application work stably.

vincent

Send from my BlackBerry10 phone.
>> I am using LWIP 1.4.3 which includes more C file about IPv6 than 1.4.1 and 1.4.0, Does it mean LWIP 1.4.3 support IPv6 ?
>> It is confusing to me that I can't find 1..4.3 in lwip website now ..
>>
>> Could you help explain this ?
>
> I didn't know there is a version 1.4.3...

That's because there's no such thing. Vincent, you might want to check what your sources are or who told you it's 1.4.3?

Simon