Port maintainers

Kieran Mansley
I'm CC'ing lwip-users on this developers mail as it is possibly of wider
interest/implication.

Currently the lwip-contrib module lags behind the core stack as there is
a period of time between stack changes going in, and the ports being
updated.  I suspect that in a number of cases there is no-one
maintaining a port, and so it is unlikely to ever be updated.

I'd like to suggest that unless we can find developers who are willing
to take ownership of a port then that port should be retired and removed
from the supported codebase.  It could then be archived and put on the
website so that if in the future anyone does want to support it, they
can revive the port.

So, this is a call for lwip developers to step forward if:
 - they already maintain a port (so that we know someone is doing the
job and don't retire it)
 - they don't already maintain a port, but would like to help out by
doing so in order to prevent a port being retired.

Port maintenance is something I can't do myself as in most cases it
would need the hardware in question to test things.

Thanks

Re: [lwip-users] Port maintainers

Jonathan Larmour
Kieran Mansley wrote:
> So, this is a call for lwip developers to step forward if:
>  - they already maintain a port (so that we know someone is doing the
> job and don't retire it)
>  - they don't already maintain a port, but would like to help out by
> doing so in order to prevent a port being retired.

I think the eCos RTOS port in lwip should be retired because the canonical
code for that actually resides in the public eCos repository.

Jifl
--
eCosCentric    http://www.eCosCentric.com/    The eCos and RedBoot experts
Company legal info, address and number:   http://www.ecoscentric.com/legal

Re: Port maintainers

Christiaan Simons
Hi Kieran,

We, at Axon, have closed lwIP development
for now. I've become an inactive developer,
but I'll just stick around if something
that I broke needs mending ;-)

I'll need to check with our management
if we want to keep/maintain the c16x port
or let it retire.

If we want to keep it in the codebase someone
else at Axon will step forward as maintainer
for the c16x port.

I'll be happy to continue the maintenance on
the Unix port, but this may also be transferred
to someone else, if there are any volunteers.

Christiaan Simons

Hardware Designer
Axon Digital Design

http://www.axon.tv

PLEASE NOTE: As of February 5th, AXON’s new address is:

LET OP: Vanaf 5 februari is het nieuwe adres van Axon:

[Delivery]
Lange Wagenstraat 55
5126 BB GILZE
The Netherlands
T +31 (0)161 850 450
F +31 (0)161 850 499

[Mail]
P.O. Box 48
5126 ZG GILZE
The Netherlands

(All e-mail addresses remain the same.)
(Alle e-mailadressen blijven ongewijzigd.)

individual named.  If you are not the named addressee you should not

Re: Port maintainers

Kieran Mansley
On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 13:12 +0100, Christiaan Simons wrote:

> Hi Kieran,
>
> We, at Axon, have closed lwIP development
> for now. I've become an inactive developer,
> but I'll just stick around if something
> that I broke needs mending ;-)
>
> I'll need to check with our management
> if we want to keep/maintain the c16x port
> or let it retire.
>
> If we want to keep it in the codebase someone
> else at Axon will step forward as maintainer
> for the c16x port.

Thanks for the update.

> I'll be happy to continue the maintenance on
> the Unix port, but this may also be transferred
> to someone else, if there are any volunteers.

If you can keep the Unix port going for the time being, that would be
very helpful.

Re: Re: [lwip-users] Port maintainers

On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 11:42 +0000, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> Kieran Mansley wrote:
> > So, this is a call for lwip developers to step forward if:
> >  - they already maintain a port (so that we know someone is doing the
> > job and don't retire it)
> >  - they don't already maintain a port, but would like to help out by
> > doing so in order to prevent a port being retired.
>
> I think the eCos RTOS port in lwip should be retired because the canonical
> code for that actually resides in the public eCos repository.

OK, thanks for the info, seems like that would be sensible.

Re: Re: [lwip-users] Port maintainers

David Haas
Hi Kieran,

I did the coldfire/Nucleus port a few years ago. I have since changed
jobs and no longer have the hardware or the time to maintain the port.
Hopefully someone else will, otherwise it will have to go inactive.

By the way, as far as I know its running in that company's product (a
printer) very successfully, running a number of simultaneous connections.

David Haas