Question about LWIP and ESP8266 as UART-WiFi Bridge

Question about LWIP and ESP8266 as UART-WiFi Bridge

Flavio Castro Alves Filho
Hello,

I am currently working on a project where I use STM32F4
microcontroller and a ESP8266 as a WiFi module. My firmware project
uses STM23CubeMX, which comes with LWIP 2.0.3 when I setup the
project.

I'm using ESP8266 AT commands, with its standard firmware, just to
perform WiFi communication. I am using UART to communicate both
devices (maybe the only possible choice :-)).

For now, I am using UART passthrough mode, from ESP8266 point of view,
in order to communicate with the server.

I would like to profit from LWIP infrastruture in order to implement
socket api and other protocols and features in my WiFi communication.
And I would like to know if I can integrate LWIP in this setup,
considering that the TCP/IP stack is already being used by the WiFi
module.

If it is possible, how should I proceed?

Best regards,

Flavio

--
Flavio de Castro Alves Filho

[hidden email]
Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/fraviofii
LinkedIn profile: www.linkedin.com/in/flaviocastroalves

Re: Question about LWIP and ESP8266 as UART-WiFi Bridge

Amr Elsayed
Hi Flavio,
Sharing my experience, I was moving the same path as yours using AT commands, but found AT commands API's are poor and needs a lot of work to implement a single protocol. I found the Arduino SDK for ESP is much better for its stability ,community support and have a lot of ready to use modules for several protocols (HTTP ,MQTT , modbus TCP ,etc) and also LWIP sockets API's. I was worried that Arduino environment is not suitable for production. but  guess what it's much stable than STM32f4 and I currently have a product based on Arduino's SDK, the problem I experienced during development is the Arduino IDE does not have a debugger mode to track bugs. however there are other solutions (IDE's that support ESP Arduino SDK and also a debugger so you can set breakpoints, etc...).
Best Regards,
Amr Elsayed.
Founder @ The DIY Life.
[hidden email]
On Fri, 5 Apr 2019 at 13:40, Flavio Castro Alves Filho <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hello Amr,

Thank you for your response.

In my case, I already have a hardware, and I cannot change it. And it
uses the ESP8266 just for WiFi communication.

At first, I do not intend to change the WiFi module firmware. But I am
convinced that I will have to do that.

I believe that it is not a feature for the LWIP (at least, for now).

Best regards,

Flavio

www.linuxembarcado.com