Recommended WiFi module for use with lwIP

Recommended WiFi module for use with lwIP

Freddie Chopin-2
Hello!

I've browsed through the list archives a bit and the last thread about
this topic is pretty old (2013-2017), so I'm wondering whether there's
something new on the market (;

For a sort-of an industrial/automation application, I'm looking for a
module which doesn't have to be the cheapest on the planet (obiously
also not the most expensive <; ). I would prefer something which you
could expect to still buy in a few years. The most important aspect for
me is obviously easy integration with lwIP. High throughput is not very
important, at this moment I think this module will be used to serve a
webpage to a single user only. As the user will be pretty close, the
range is also not a huge concern - something which works in the radius
of a few meters will be just fine.

Generally I have almost zero knowledge about such modules, so I don't
even know whether I should be looking for something which works via
PPPoS (like a GSM modem) or maybe something which behaves like a
typical Ethernet combo of MAC+PHY, connected to the microcontroller via
SPI or RMII.

Thanks in advance for all recommendations!

Regards,
FCh

Re: Recommended WiFi module for use with lwIP

Trampas Stern
I have used an ESP32 wifi module.  The ESP32 is a processor and on that process I use the Arduino libraries which use LWIP under the covers.  I then wrote a simple arduino script that makes the ESP32 be a socket interface via the SPI interface.   I use this for hosting an embedded web server. I was able to get about 1-2Mbps throughput.

Using the ESP32 is very simple and there are lots of arduino based examples out there.

Trampas

On Sat, 2020-10-17 at 14:16 -0400, Trampas Stern wrote:
> I have used an ESP32 wifi module.  The ESP32 is a processor and on
> that process I use the Arduino libraries which use LWIP under the
> covers.  I then wrote a simple arduino script that makes the ESP32 be
> a socket interface via the SPI interface.   I use this for hosting an
> embedded web server. I was able to get about 1-2Mbps throughput.
> Using the ESP32 is very simple and there are lots of arduino based
> examples out there.

If possible, I would really prefer something that works "out of the
box" - without a need to write a custom firmware for the module itself
(;

BTW - in some older threads I've read that previous version of ESP chip
was a very bad match for using as such WiFi module with lwIP. How is
ESP32 different in that regard?

Regards,
FCh

Re: Recommended WiFi module for use with lwIP

wilkxt

out of the box module https://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/en/ATWINC1500

--
Pozdrawiam
Tomek

On Mon, 2020-10-19 at 08:57 +0200, Tomasz W wrote:
> > If possible, I would really prefer something that works "out of the
> > box" - without a need to write a custom firmware for the module
> > itself
> > (;
>
> out of the box module
> https://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/en/ATWINC1500

Thanks- very nice! I believe it can be used directly with lwIP when you
put it into "Ethernet mode" ("bypass mode"), as described in this
application note:

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/AppNotes/70005333A.pdf

Am I right here?

The price seems nice, brand guarantees proper availability, if only
using it with lwIP is easy then it's a very good option ideed! Have you
used this module with lwIP and maybe you could share some opinions or
pointers?

Regards,
FCh

Re: Recommended WiFi module for use with lwIP

wilkxt
> Thanks- very nice! I believe it can be used directly with lwIP when you
> put it into "Ethernet mode" ("bypass mode"), as described in this
> application note:
>
> http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/AppNotes/70005333A.pdf
>
> Am I right here?
>
> The price seems nice, brand guarantees proper availability, if only
> using it with lwIP is easy then it's a very good option ideed! Have you
> used this module with lwIP and maybe you could share some opinions or
> pointers?

I do not help, I not use them

--
Pozdrawiam