UDP_RAW Send and receive simultaneously (UDPerf)

UDP_RAW Send and receive simultaneously (UDPerf)

antonio
Hi all,

I am developing a Iperf_UDP Server application.
So far I was able to connect the client to my server.
However, I want now to enable  "bi-directional bandwidth measurement"
(i.e., -d and -r option at the client).

One way I tried to create a reverse path is
when I receive the first packets from the client, I create a new thread that
communicates back to the client.
However, it's blocking my server application... :(

Any hint is welcome.

Does UDP RAW supports concurrent operation? Because, with TCP it's possible
to have another PCB to send data in the reverse path.

Thanks in advance.

/Antonio

--
Sent from: http://lwip.100.n7.nabble.com/lwip-devel-f11621.html

Re: UDP_RAW Send and receive simultaneously (UDPerf)

goldsimon@gmx.de
On 26.11.2018 14:54, antonio wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am developing a Iperf_UDP Server application.
> So far I was able to connect the client to my server.
> However, I want now to enable  "bi-directional bandwidth measurement"
> (i.e., -d and -r option at the client).
>
> One way I tried to create a reverse path is
> when I receive the first packets from the client, I create a new thread that
> communicates back to the client.
> However, it's blocking my server application... :(
>
> Any hint is welcome.
>
> Does UDP RAW supports concurrent operation? Because, with TCP it's possible
> to have another PCB to send data in the reverse path.

Yes, of course we allow concurrent transmissions. But we do not support
concurrent threads. And this is not protocol specific but API specific.
If it works for tcp, you just had bad luck...

See here: https://www.nongnu.org/lwip/2_1_x/multithreading.html

Re: UDP_RAW Send and receive simultaneously (UDPerf)

antonio

Thanks Simon,

I meant concurrent TX/RX with same UDP PCB.
since I want to measure UL/DL traffic, I want to be able to send and receive
data at higher speed simultaneously.

That's why I was thinking about using another Thread that can handle TX only
with its own PCB.

/A

On 28.11.2018 15:49, antonio wrote:
> I meant concurrent TX/RX with same UDP PCB.

As I said, that works.

> since I want to measure UL/DL traffic, I want to be able to send and receive
> data at higher speed simultaneously.
>
> That's why I was thinking about using another Thread that can handle TX only
> with its own PCB.

I'm not sure I can follow you...