Using LWIP with PPP and NAT

Flavio Castro Alves Filho
Hello,

I am new to LWIP and also new to this mailling list.

I saw a discussion about the use of NAT on this following thread:
http://lwip.100.n7.nabble.com/ESP8266-as-WiFi-to-PPP-Bridge-td28522.html

(I don't know, if it is possible, to continue the thread without have
received the email. Sorry).

I saw from Ajay the following project: https://github.com/ajaybhargav/lwip_nat

I intend to test it, but I have no idea how to do that. If possible, I
would like to use an STM32 board (nucleo-f429zi).

Could anybody advice me in how to proceed?

Best regards,

Flavio

--
Flavio de Castro Alves Filho

[hidden email]
www.linuxembarcado.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/fraviofii
LinkedIn profile: www.linkedin.com/in/flaviocastroalves

Re: Using LWIP with PPP and NAT

goldsimon@gmx.de
Am 21.02.2019 um 20:16 schrieb Flavio Castro Alves Filho:

> Hello,
>
> I am new to LWIP and also new to this mailling list.
>
> I saw a discussion about the use of NAT on this following thread:
> http://lwip.100.n7.nabble.com/ESP8266-as-WiFi-to-PPP-Bridge-td28522.html
>
> (I don't know, if it is possible, to continue the thread without have
> received the email. Sorry).
>
> I saw from Ajay the following project: https://github.com/ajaybhargav/lwip_nat

That ones seems pretty inactive? Also, they seem to have a mixed license
where the NAT part seems to be GPL, while lwIP has a BSD license.

In addition to that, the ip4_nat.c file seems to be based on code
uploaded to our bugtracker in 2009 which got revoked because the one who
uploaded it did not have appropriate rights to do so
(http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?7506).

I'd be suprised if that github code was legally correct...

> I intend to test it, but I have no idea how to do that. If possible, I
> would like to use an STM32 board (nucleo-f429zi).
>
> Could anybody advice me in how to proceed?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Flavio

Re: Using LWIP with PPP and NAT

Ajay Bhargav-2
> That ones seems pretty inactive? Also, they seem to have a mixed license
> where the NAT part seems to be GPL, while lwIP has a BSD license.
>
> In addition to that, the ip4_nat.c file seems to be based on code
> uploaded to our bugtracker in 2009 which got revoked because the one who
> uploaded it did not have appropriate rights to do so
> (http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?7506).
>
> I'd be suprised if that github code was legally correct...
>
> Regards,
> Simon

Hi Simon,

I ported this source from old lwip source used by RT-Thread team
https://github.com/RT-Thread/rt-thread/tree/master/components/net/lwip_nat
I just realized they have modified the license to Apache 2.0 which was
earlier GPL. I shall update that

Moreover I have no idea about patch uploaded in 2009, I also opened up
an issue in their repository asking about issue with licensing since
lwip and NAT code uses different licenses, they confirmed there is no
issue with licensing.
ref: https://github.com/RT-Thread/rt-thread/issues/679

I kept the repo aside only coz of two different licenses. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ajay Bhargav

Ajay Bhargav wrote:

> An: "Mailing list for lwIP users" <[hidden email]>
> Betreff: Re: [lwip-users] Using LWIP with PPP and NAT
>
> > That ones seems pretty inactive? Also, they seem to have a mixed license
> > where the NAT part seems to be GPL, while lwIP has a BSD license.
> >
> > In addition to that, the ip4_nat.c file seems to be based on code
> > uploaded to our bugtracker in 2009 which got revoked because the one who
> > uploaded it did not have appropriate rights to do so
> > (http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?7506).
> >
> > I'd be suprised if that github code was legally correct...
> >
> > Regards,
> > Simon
> >
> Hi Simon,
>
> I ported this source from old lwip source used by RT-Thread team
> https://github.com/RT-Thread/rt-thread/tree/master/components/net/lwip_nat
> I just realized they have modified the license to Apache 2.0 which was
> earlier GPL. I shall update that
>
> Moreover I have no idea about patch uploaded in 2009, I also opened up
> an issue in their repository asking about issue with licensing since
> lwip and NAT code uses different licenses, they confirmed there is no
> issue with licensing.
> ref: https://github.com/RT-Thread/rt-thread/issues/679

I don't know @BernardXiong or @hichard, but the NAT code is clearly marked
as originating 2009 from Christian Walter. He was the one uploading this
code to our bugtracker in 2009, without the right to do so, obviously.

I ended up deleting these files from the bugtracker, but it seems they
have still made it into rt-thread...

So you can either assume that the two above have talked to Christian
Walter and cleared up the licensing issue or they aren't aware of this
fact or they don't care :-)

I just wanted to point this out on this list to ensure we're not to
blame.

Re: Using LWIP with PPP and NAT

Ajay Bhargav-2
> I don't know @BernardXiong or @hichard, but the NAT code is clearly marked
> as originating 2009 from Christian Walter. He was the one uploading this
> code to our bugtracker in 2009, without the right to do so, obviously.
>
> I ended up deleting these files from the bugtracker, but it seems they
> have still made it into rt-thread...
>
> So you can either assume that the two above have talked to Christian
> Walter and cleared up the licensing issue or they aren't aware of this
> fact or they don't care :-)
>
> I just wanted to point this out on this list to ensure we're not to
> blame.
>

> Regards,
> Simon

I completely understand your point. And for sure lwIP is not to blame
at all. I clearly mentioned in my repo that NAT source is not part of
lwIP. Moreover, It may sound odd but I think I may have found the
"real" Christian Walter, the author of lwip_nat source. I also emailed
him to know more and just hoping he responds back. Well the
attribution is there and I am not sure who's to blame. Not me
hopefully :-P

Regards,
Ajay Bhargav

Re: Using LWIP with PPP and NAT

Flavio Castro Alves Filho
And how do I use this code? Or I can't use this code?

As I am not an LwIP expert, I couldn't even identify the different
code from that repo :-|

Best regards,

Flavio

Em ter, 26 de fev de 2019 às 05:26, Ajay Bhargav
<[hidden email]> escreveu:

> > I don't know @BernardXiong or @hichard, but the NAT code is clearly marked
> > as originating 2009 from Christian Walter. He was the one uploading this
> > code to our bugtracker in 2009, without the right to do so, obviously.
> >
> > I ended up deleting these files from the bugtracker, but it seems they
> > have still made it into rt-thread...
> >
> > So you can either assume that the two above have talked to Christian
> > Walter and cleared up the licensing issue or they aren't aware of this
> > fact or they don't care :-)
> >
> > I just wanted to point this out on this list to ensure we're not to
> > blame.
> >

> > Regards,
> > Simon
> >
> I completely understand your point. And for sure lwIP is not to blame
> at all. I clearly mentioned in my repo that NAT source is not part of
> lwIP. Moreover, It may sound odd but I think I may have found the
> "real" Christian Walter, the author of lwip_nat source. I also emailed
> him to know more and just hoping he responds back. Well the
> attribution is there and I am not sure who's to blame. Not me
> hopefully :-P
>
> Regards,
> Ajay Bhargav

Flavio de Castro Alves Filho

[hidden email]
www.linuxembarcado.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/fraviofii
LinkedIn profile: www.linkedin.com/in/flaviocastroalves

Re: Using LWIP with PPP and NAT

Ajay Bhargav (SiWi)

I am yet to update the repo to latest lwIP source, but you can still use it.

Usage information is given here:

https://github.com/ajaybhargav/lwip_nat/blob/master/src/core/ipv4/ip4_nat.c

I will better create a different howto file for this repo.

Regards,

Ajay Bhargav

Am 28. Februar 2019 12:16:00 MEZ schrieb Ajay Bhargav <[hidden email]>:
>I am yet to update the repo to latest lwIP source, but you can still
>use it.
>Usage information is given here:
>https://github.com/ajaybhargav/lwip_nat/blob/master/src/core/ipv4/ip4_nat.c
>
>I will better create a different howto file for this repo.

And while you're at it, you could provide a more meaningful document to be shown instead of the original lwIP README that states the difference between your repository and our original sources.

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 5:07 PM goldsimon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 28. Februar 2019 12:16:00 MEZ schrieb Ajay Bhargav <[hidden email]>:
> >I am yet to update the repo to latest lwIP source, but you can still
> >use it.
> >Usage information is given here:
> >https://github.com/ajaybhargav/lwip_nat/blob/master/src/core/ipv4/ip4_nat.c
> >
> >I will better create a different howto file for this repo.
>
> And while you're at it, you could provide a more meaningful document to be shown instead of the original lwIP README that states the difference between your repository and our original sources.

That's exactly I am going to do. Hope no more confusion. And just to
be clear, I think the RT-Thread code is different from the one
uploaded to bug tracker in 2009. I checked the header file which still
exists.

Regards,
Ajay Bhargav

Ajay Bhargav wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 5:07 PM goldsimon <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > Am 28. Februar 2019 12:16:00 MEZ schrieb Ajay Bhargav <[hidden email]>:
> > >I am yet to update the repo to latest lwIP source, but you can still
> > >use it.
> > >Usage information is given here:
> > >https://github.com/ajaybhargav/lwip_nat/blob/master/src/core/ipv4/ip4_nat.c
> > >
> > >I will better create a different howto file for this repo.
> >
> > And while you're at it, you could provide a more meaningful document to be shown instead of the original lwIP README that states the difference between your repository and our original sources.
> >
> That's exactly I am going to do. Hope no more confusion.

Cool, thanks.

> And just to
> be clear, I think the RT-Thread code is different from the one
> uploaded to bug tracker in 2009. I checked the header file which still
> exists.

No. The only file that is still in there is file #14564. This is not the
one from C. Walter. I told you I deleted them (on personal, non-public
request from the uploader) - see the history of task #7506. You cannot
compare them any more. However, you do have the copyright header and you
said you contacted C. Walter about it, so I guess things are pretty clear.

To be honest, I don't know if anyone cares. All I wanted to do is write
what I know here to prevent anyone blaming me for not telling ;-)