lwIP host PING dramatic speed decrease

Kjel Snorre Jahrus
Hello,

I am currently working on porting the lwIP stack on my platform and after I managed to make it work in a P2P network(PC connected directly to the Ethernet controller of the board) with good parameters(Ping time=1ms) I put it in a regular network in the office and the ping time is now more than 1800 ms.

Can you please tell me if this is normal behavior or I am doing something wrong somewhere?

Thank you for your answers in advance!

Best regards,
Kjel Snorre

Re: lwIP host PING dramatic speed decrease

Kieran Mansley

On 9 Aug 2012, at 12:30, Kjel Snorre Jahrus wrote:

> I am currently working on porting the lwIP stack on my platform and after I managed to make it work in a P2P network(PC connected directly to the Ethernet controller of the board) with good parameters(Ping time=1ms) I put it in a regular network in the office and the ping time is now more than 1800 ms.

In the past when other people have had similar problems it has been to do with the volume of traffic that the stack is exposed to.  In a general office network there will be a lot of background broadcast traffic etc. and this could be overwhelming the resources available.  When connected directly to your PC there will be next to zero background traffic.

Re: lwIP host PING dramatic speed decrease

Funk, Artur
It would be easier if you would tell us what kind of hardware you have
used. In the past I have had similar problem since my PHY was
initialized wrong (10Mbits Speed). It wasn't unobtrusive in a P2P
connection, but with a lot of traffic in our firm lan, the response time
was terrible. So far about my situation but it could be everything, bad
cable, wrong initialized MAC and so on...

Best regards

Artur Funk

Re: lwIP host PING dramatic speed decrease

Kjel Snorre Jahrus
@Kieran Yes, I guessed that was the reason, but is there a way to filter the messages that I don't need? Mostly all of them are broadcasts for different services that are running on the network.
@Artur I am using a Micrel 8851SNL chip, which I am configuring for 100Mbits. I checked the cables, and the MAC is hopefully good initialized; the reason of my problem is the big number of broadcasts.

@All Is there a way to filter unwanted messages or discard them earlier in the stack?

Thank you in advance,
Kjel Snorre

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 9:01 AM, Funk, Artur <[hidden email]> wrote:
It would be easier if you would tell us what kind of hardware you have
used. In the past I have had similar problem since my PHY was
initialized wrong (10Mbits Speed). It wasn't unobtrusive in a P2P
connection, but with a lot of traffic in our firm lan, the response time
was terrible. So far about my situation but it could be everything, bad
cable, wrong initialized MAC and so on...

Best regards

Artur Funk

Re: lwIP host PING dramatic speed decrease

Funk, Artur

I didn’t got a detailed datasheet quickly, so I don’t know about all possibilities  of this Chip.
Take a look if it’s possible to filer multicast/broadcast messages and try it to set a filter for this.

But be careful broadcast is essential for dhcp and arp so you eventually will need to set the MAC address

Of your board on pc manually. If it helps to increase the response time of ping, you have got the root of the problem.

But what can you do further? Do you use this micrel phy chip in DMA mode or SPI? If the phy is connected via spi, that will

Be surely the bottleneck, in DMA mode the chip should deliver the data quickly enough. Is your  controller/fpga is able to  handle all the data?

I hope it could help

Best regards

Artur Funk