mbedLTS with lwIP and Gmail

Manuel José Peirone
Dear all,

first of all, nice to meet you!

I am currently working on an implementation of an email client with lwIP 2.1.0 and I need to add TLS security so that I can communicate with the Gmail SMTP server.

I can see in smtp.c that there are functions to implement the TLS layer on top of TCP however I'm not entirely sure where to start.

What's the information I should pass to the smtp_set_tls_config(struct altcp_tls_config *tls_config) function?

Do I need to embed the certificates from Gmail in my implementation (https://support.google.com/a/answer/6180220?hl=en)?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just looking for a place to start with this as I'm pretty new to the TLS cryptographic protocol. Any hint will be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Manuel