[task #15710] Any plan to re-provide distribution tarballs?

[task #15710] Any plan to re-provide distribution tarballs?

Ashley Duncan

                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
         Planned Release: None
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

The old releases of lwIP( lwip-1.3.0 and before) provide tar.gz package, but
the later releases only provide zip file.

Since most Unix software on the net is distributed in the form of a tarball
and it might be more friendly to user on Unix, would you mind also provide a
distribution tarball in the future releases?

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15710>

[task #15710] Any plan to re-provide distribution tarballs?

Ashley Duncan

It seems the zip file was generated on Windows, when I unzip the distribution
zip file, I get everything with CRLF as the line terminators, it cause some
trouble on the linux server.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15710>

[task #15710] Any plan to re-provide distribution tarballs?

Ashley Duncan

It's like that because lwIP has traditionally been used for embedded systems
mainly. And up to now, embedded systems are still mostly developed under
windows.

I can try to think of adding the tgz for the next release...

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15710>

[task #15710] Any plan to re-provide distribution tarballs?

Ashley Duncan

[comment #2 comment #2:]
> It's like that because lwIP has traditionally been used for embedded systems
mainly. And up to now, embedded systems are still mostly developed under
windows.

> I can try to think of adding the tgz for the next release...

Thanks, it's really helpful.

Actually the tgz could be automatically created from the source tree and I
find it has already been there, take release tag STABLE-2_1_2_RELEASE for
example:
http://git.savannah.nongnu.org/cgit/lwip.git/snapshot/lwip-STABLE-2_1_2_RELEASE.tar.gz

I've compared the content extract from the tar.gz and lwip-2.1.2.zip(which
from the official download page). After running dos2unix on all the files
extract from zip, I find there are two file in the tarball but not in the
zip:
- .gitignore
- .gitattribute

To make it consistent between distributions (if you adding the tgz for the
future release). We can adds a few entries in .gitattributes to specify files
that should never end up in a distribution tarball.

I can post a patch about it if you think it's worth doing.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15710>

[task #15710] Any plan to re-provide distribution tarballs?

Ashley Duncan

Yes, I'd test that if you attach a patch here.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15710>

[task #15710] Any plan to re-provide distribution tarballs?

Ashley Duncan

[comment #4 comment #4:]

Patch#9948 (https://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?9948)

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15710>

[task #15710] Any plan to re-provide distribution tarballs?

Ashley Duncan

FYI: you can try this command to test :

$ git archive -o lwip-HEAD.tar.gz HEAD

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15710>